Saturday, February 16, 2013

My Love Letter to Nature

Dear Nature,

    I should have written you this letter for Valentine's Day but I don't believe in this Hallmark holiday. Rather, I believe in showing you my love as often as I can through my stewardship and showing you off to as many kids as I can take into your sanctuary.
    I didn't know you as a kid. My daddy loved you but I couldn't get past your many bugs and my fear of your snakes. So I didn't get to experience you like so many other children did in the 70 and 80s. They came home from school and ran free in the fields near the school or built forts in the woods behind the town water tank.
     I discovered you through the eyes of my students: watching their carefree minds and bodies explore and question you, seeing their smiles of happiness, witnessing their burgeoning relationship with you because they have discovered you are not that scary after all and observing their self-esteem rise even if for but a short period of time. Through their eyes, I discovered your inspiration to learn that you offer endless possibilities to explore your sanctuary.

No comments:

Post a Comment